Florida Highway Patrol releases Tiger Woods 9-1-1 call
Interested in syndicating BNO News articles? Contact email@example.com for more information.
From the BNO Newsroom.
ORLANDO, FLORIDA (BNO NEWS) -- The Florida Highway Patrol on Sunday released the recording of a 9-1-1 phone call made shortly after Tiger Woods was involved in a car crash outside his home on early Friday. The recording, obtained by BNO News, can be listened to below (flash player required).
The 9-1-1 call was made by a neighbor, said Sgt. Kim Montes of the Florida Highway Patrol. Montes further said that Woods once again, for the third time, canceled an interview with troopers who are investigating the accident.
"Just after 1:00 pm, lawyer Mark Nejame contacted the Florida Highway Patrol to inform us that he is representing Tiger Woods. Mark Nejame stated that the interview that was scheduled for today has been canceled," said Montes. "The traffic crash remains under investigation and charges are pending." It remains unclear what type of charges are pending, or against who.
Tiger Woods also released a statement on Sunday, his first comments since the accident on Friday that received international media coverage.
"As you all know, I had a single-car accident earlier this week, and sustained some injuries. I have some cuts, bruising and right now I'm pretty sore," Woods wrote.
Since the accident on Friday, there have been widespread media reports that Tiger Woods and his wife were in an argument over an alleged affair at the time of the crash, but neither Woods or other officials have commented on those reports. In Sunday's statement, Woods did not directly address those reports but said a lot of false rumors are going around.
"This is a private matter and I want to keep it that way. Although I understand there is curiosity, the many false, unfounded and malicious rumors that are currently circulating about my family and me are irresponsible," Woods wrote. "The only person responsible for the accident is me. My wife, Elin, acted courageously when she saw I was hurt and in trouble. She was the first person to help me. Any other assertion is absolutely false."
Woods continues and asks for privacy concerning the matter. "This incident has been stressful and very difficult for Elin, our family and me. I appreciate all the concern and well wishes that we have received. But, I would also ask for some understanding that my family and I deserve some privacy no matter how intrusive some people can be," the golfer concluded his statement.
The single-vehicle accident happened around 2.25 a.m. on Friday in Windermere, a
suburb of Orlando, according to a police report. The report said Woods pulled
out of the driveway at his residence and struck a fire hydrant. The front of the
car then struck a tree, officials said. While the cause of the accident is still
under investigation, the Florida Highway Patrol earlier said that no alcohol was
The state agency initially caused widespread confusion after its initial press release on Friday said that Woods had been seriously injured in the accident. Woods' publicist later said the famed golfer sustained only minor injuries, and had already been released from hospital.
Or sign up for breaking news e-mail alerts by clicking here.